I just finished reading an amazing book that wasn’t even on my list of things to read. I’m so glad I did.
Like a Mighty Wind was written in 1974, but don’t let the date fool you. The pages came to life for me in ways I wasn’t expecting.
“God can use men in a marvelous way when they obey Him.
Evangelist Mel Tari teaches in Chapter 15 that God speaks in many ways. I want to share with you the list of seven ways God speaks to us:
- God Speaks Audibly – God spoke to Samuel in the Old Testament. He spoke to Paul (then Saul) in the New Testament. You may say, “Well, that happened then, but it doesn’t happen now.” Don’t be so sure. Be ready for the unexpected. Has God ever audibly spoken to me? No. But that doesn’t mean He won’t do it if He doesn’t need to get my attention.
- God Speaks Through Visions – There are countless stories in the Bible that talk about God giving others visions. I have a friend whose visions have come to pass.
- God Speaks Through Dreams – This doesn’t mean that all dreams are from God, but some definitely are. For instance, I struggle with horrible nightmares. Some I’m not quite ready to talk about yet. However, God has certainly spoken to me through dreams. I had a dream once about the Table Rock Freedom Center. I saw its name in big red lights and it kept flashing on and off. Three weeks later I was a student there. I also had a recurring dream that my friend Jennifer picked me up in front of the bar in a white vehicle. Thought it didn’t happen exactly like that, one year later she drove me to TRFC in a white SUV with a beer stained t-shirt.
- Prophecy From God – Sometimes God sends people to us to send a message from Him. I was at a church in Illinois once and I could feel God trying to tell me something, but there were so many people talking I couldn’t hear. I said, “God, if you want to me to hear you, you’ll have to send someone to tell me what you’re saying.” Five minutes later a man walked up to me and said, “God wants me to tell you that someday you will have your own ministry and you will be a teacher.” Do you know how I know that was from God? Because He had already put that desire on my heart. He was simply confirming it.
- God Speaks Through His Word – God speaks to us through the Bible in our everyday meditation. Many times during a devotion God will lead us to exactly what we need that day. When I’m not speaking truth with grace, He usually leads me to an area to talk about judgment or love. Ask Him to show you and He will.
- Circumstances Lead – Mel says this about circumstances: ” Many times God doesn’t speak the other way, but just arranges circumstances so there is no other way to go. God oftentimes wants us to acknowledge Him through the situations that surround us.
- The Fellowship Test – Sometimes we need to confirm God’s message to us through personal guidance from others. For example, He confirms things to me through my friend Jennifer many times. She’ll come to be about a subject and I know in the first few sentences that God is giving me the green light. I love friends who are obedient to the Lord.
I haven’t even begun to touch the surface of the amazing testimonies in this book. Do you sometimes feel like you make God’s Word too complex when really it should be so much simpler? Like a Mighty Wind will quickly bring you back to that simplicity.
Question: Out of this list, which way does God speak to you the most? You can leave a comment by clicking here.